Breeder Tech II
3210 Merryfield Row San Diego, CA 92121 US
Pay rate range: $30-34/hr
Conduct breeding activities, colony management, record keeping and database entry following established
protocols/guidance documents for up to a maximum of 625 cages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Setup timed mating's, monitor body weight and perform plug checks.
• Conduct breeding observations at least twice a week. Note pregnancies, rotate or remove stud males; note
litters and calculate weaning dates. Annotate special record keeping or phenotype observations, assess
breeding performance, evaluate and schedule breeder animal rotation.
• Weaning: assess number of litters ready, identify and separate animals into new cages, generate cards
and enter data into the database.
• Identify animals (ear tag) and initiation of pedigree database record.
• Tissue sampling by tail or ear biopsy to determine genotype and zygosity.
• Monitor and report the colony/colony population within agreed cage numbers. Retire, assign to
experiment or euthanize animals and select new breeder animals in Change Order with guidance
• Assessing breeder stock performance, ensure breeders are within prescribed guidelines for the breeding
plan for each strain.
• Data entry for discontinued breeding pairs, new breeding set ups and initiation of pedigree database
record for weaned animals.
• Follow and advise on breeding strategies and mating schemes to meet animal production and deadlines.
• Investigator interaction/breed plans: provide frequent breeding updates, breeding schemes and
cryopreservation recommendations to investigators.
• Effectively communicate with and respond to researcher requests for breeding colony information.
• Identify, separate and transfer animals for study in the breeding database.
• Organize and maintain rooms within the breeding colony, including stocking relevant supplies e.g. cage
cards, ear tags.
• Provide general husbandry, health observations, welfare duties and perform cage change procedures in
the breeding colony. Report abnormalities and signs of illness.
• Perform routine sanitation duties of rooms and associated materials/equipment in the assigned breeding
• Perform euthanasia procedures as directed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Must adhere to SOPs, instructional documents and safety procedures.
• Education/Experience: Bachelors of Science degree in a Life Sciences discipline and two (2) years related
experience or CVT/LVT/RVT certification and two (2) years directly related work experience in
laboratory animal husbandry and technical skills as detailed above OR High School diploma/GED and
four (4) years directly related work experience in laboratory animal husbandry and technical skills as
detailed above required.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for
the specific education and experience listed above.
• Certification/Licensure: AALAS Certification at the LAT level preferred.
• Other: Demonstrate understanding of Standard Operating Procedures. Excellent organizational, time
management and recordkeeping skills. Basic word processing and database record keeping skills required.
Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Attention to detail, focus and diligence is needed in all aspects of this role
• Strong written and verbal communication skills to ensure effective correspondence with key personnel,
primary investigators and research customers.
• Ability to recognize problems, collaboratively implement solutions, and manage timelines appropriately.
• Basic scientific knowledge as demonstrated by previous scientific coursework, and/or prior work
experience in a scientific setting. Basic understanding of the drug development process.
• Ability to demonstrate strong teamwork orientation; oral and written communication skills; attention to
detail, organization, achieve work goals with minimum daily oversight, and superior customer service
focus. Must demonstrate accountability and ethics in performance of daily responsibilities.
• Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions and exhibit interpersonal skills that are conducive
to effective communication and that contribute to a congenial work environment. Maintain positive work
atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner with clients, customers, coworkers,
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand basic English.
• Employees must be able to lift, move, manipulate, and/or hold heavy objects up to and including 50 pounds;
this includes work materials, equipment, and/or animals.
• Must be able to perform procedures, which require, talking, hearing, standing or sitting for long periods
of time, entering data into a computer, using appropriate instruments, reaching with hands and arms,
working in narrow spaces, and wearing safety equipment (PPE) according to OSHA regulations and
• Must be able to frequently firmly hold species while utilizing fine motor skills.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the
ability to adjust focus.
• Works in a research environment, which requires use of sharp objects, working around mechanical parts,
working with or near known or unknown toxic or caustic chemicals and/or biological hazards, exposure
to fumes and airborne particles, working at noise levels ranging from moderate to loud.
• The employee regularly works with live animals with risk of exposure to allergens, zoonotic disease, and
• May work with or near test articles with unknown levels of toxicity.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
• This position may require occasional weekend, holiday, and/or on call shifts
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.