Associate Scientist/Chemical Engineer/Biochemical Engineer/Biological Engineer
101 Orchard Ridge Dr North Potomac, MD 20878 US
As a purification Associate Scientist in Bioprocess Technology and Engineering (BTE), you would join a team developing Client's Next Generation Manufacturing Platform. You and the team would develop the purification platform to support a high-density perfusion cell culture for biological therapeutics, including antibodies, bispecific antibodies, and Fc-fusions. You would apply the Next Generation Manufacturing methods to drug candidates in Phase I, II, and those entering Phase III. As the molecules progress through the development lifecycle, you will have opportunity to develop the process characterization methods to support commercialization. You would work on a matrix team with members from cell line development, cell culture development, purification development, analytical development, formulation development, and data analytics and modelling. You would have opportunity to operate small scale and pilot scale purification systems. Your work would be used to design processes so that they can be scaled to purify 10kg-20kg per day. You would be responsible for working jointly with your upstream colleagues to link the bioreactor to the purification process. You would draw upon your publication history to publish peer-reviewed articles of your work.
Summary of the group:
The Biotechnology and Engineering team works to develop and apply new technologies and engineering analysis to manufacturing biologics such as the COVID-19 antibody treatment being developed at Client's. We use engineering and science to understand and solve problems. Our team will work with bioreactors and genetically modified Chinese hamster ovary cells to produce new drugs, and we will develop new ways of purifying them so that we can provide them to patients around the world. We work closely with a much larger team including scientists, engineers, and project managers from the UK and US.
Some team members will rotate through cell culture and purification development, and get experience at the bench scale and at production scale in a non-GMP manufacturing facility.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Study and develop next generation mammalian purification processes, including chromatography, filtration, ultrafiltration operations
- Build or use mathematical models that predict purification
- Be part of a team that tests new manufacturing methods at a manufacturing scale
- Develop automation methods that control the entire manufacturing process
Education & Experience Requirements:
A BS or Masters Degree with an engineering discipline focused on biologics, ideally protein based recombinant purification, with a focus in a process engineering field (e.g., chemical or biochemical engineering) is strongly preferred.
- Industry related experience Associate Scientist I (BS with 0-5 years, MS 0-3 years) or Scientist (BS 8-12, MS 4-8). Industrial experience developing or supporting clinical or commercial biotechnology is not required.
- Buffer formulation, lab equipment operation such as Akta Avant, peristaltic pumps, pressure sensors, pH probes, pipet operation, UV spectrophotometry
- Experimental design with proteins
- Theory of Protein ion exchange and affinity chromatography or affinity precipitation
- Fundamental and practical understanding of downstream unit operations
- Arduino programming and building prototypes
- Experience with GMP equipment design and use of data management systems.
- Skilled in problem-solving.
- Skilled in effectively explaining complex scientific or engineering concepts to a broader, diverse, cross-functional audience.
**salary will be commensurate with experience**
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.