101 Orchard Ridge Dr North Potomac, MD 20878 US
Target Pay Rate: 24-34.85/hr **salary will be commensurate with experience
As an Associate Scientist in Bioprocess Technology and Engineering (BTE), you would join a team developing harvest operation. You and the team would develop the harvest operation platform to support both traditional fed-batch bioreactors as well as high-density perfusion cell culture for biological therapeutics, including antibodies, bispecific antibodies, and Fc-fusions. You would apply these methods to drug candidates in Phase I, II, and those entering Phase III. As the molecules progress through the development lifecycle, you will have opportunity to develop the process characterization methods to support commercialization. You would work on a matrix team with members from cell line development, cell culture development, purification development, analytical development, formulation development, and data analytics and modelling.
Summary of the group:
The Biotechnology and Engineering team works to develop and apply new technologies and engineering analysis to manufacturing biologics such as the COVID-19 antibody treatment being developed at client. We use engineering and science to understand and solve problems. Our team will work with bioreactors and genetically modified Chinese hamster ovary cells to produce new drugs, and we will develop new ways of purifying them so that we can provide them to patients around the world. We work closely with a much larger team including scientists, engineers, and project managers from the UK, Ireland, and US.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Help develop and optimize mammalian cell culture harvest, specifically continuous centrifuge and depth filtration, as well as process technology
- Help develop and improve tangential flow filtration (TFF) for cell culture perfusion
- Demonstrate scientific rigor in assessing own data and that of others.
- Support technology transfer to clinical and commercial manufacturing sites
Education & Experience Requirements:
A BS or Masters Degree with an engineering or scientific discipline focused on biologics, with a focus in a process engineering field (e.g., chemical or biochemical engineering) is strongly preferred.
- Industry related experience Associate Scientist I (BS with 0-5 years, MS 0-3 years). Industrial experience developing or supporting clinical or commercial biotechnology is not required.
- Lab equipment operation, peristaltic pumps, pressure sensors, pH probes, pipet operation, UV spectrophotometry
- Experimental design with proteins
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (or related) programs
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills including proven technical writing skills are required. Position may require weekend work.
- Experience in depth filtration and TFF optimization
- Knowledge of continuous centrifugation
- Experience with GMP equipment design and use of data management systems.
- Skilled in effectively explaining complex scientific or engineering concepts to a broader, diverse, cross-functional audience.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.