Cagewash Attendant I
238 Main Street Boston, MA 02111 US
Provide cleaning and maintenance of laboratory animal caging, equipment and cage preparation areas as well as cleaning of animal support areas under supervision. Provide quality assurance to the cagewash area. Pay Rate Range: $20-24/hr
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Dumps and scrapes soiled bedding from caging and prepares caging for cagewash under supervision.
• Sanitizes caging and related equipment using cage washers, pressure washer or hand washing as required.
• Properly disposes of soiled bedding and waste in specified receptacles.
• Cleans and sanitizes cage preparation and storage areas.
• Monitors and records results of cagewash water temperature and cleaning results using provided supplies such as temperature dots/strips, cultures.
• Ensures that all logbooks, checklists and other records are completed in a timely fashion.
• Flushes all animal racks.
• Beds and prepares clean cages for use.
• Ensures the correct times are selected and are used for each cagewash load.
• Ensures proper amounts of chemicals are present. Reports any chemical needs to the supervisor.
• Reports mechanical failures promptly and properly to the supervisor.
• Performs all work assignments in accordance with guidelines established by federal, state and local regulatory agencies. Performs animal husbandry duties including but not limited to preparation and actual changing of cages and related cage accessories, feeding, and manual watering or monitoring/testing automatic watering devices. i.e.,
• Prepares caging for cagewash, including scraping floor grids, breaking down caging and dumping pans or scraping cages.
• Functions as a team member and maintains professional conduct at all times.
• Assists housekeeping duties such as trash collection and cleaning animal facility laboratories, offices and ancillary areas.
• Maintains equipment used in performance of work and/or reports the problem to supervisor.
• Operate Techniplast washer in accordance with SOP
• Operate and maintain Steris autoclaves.
• Performs microbiological sampling in accordance with SOP
• Performs other job related duties as assigned.
• Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.)
• Experience: N/A
• Certification/Licensure: None
• Other: Ability to read, write, understand and follow directions. Ability to recognize and communicate verbally and/or in writing, problems requiring the attention of high level personnel in a timely and appropriate manner.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to stand; sit; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• The employee must regularly lift up to 50 pounds and/or move racks and carts with supplies and equipment weighing more than 50 pounds.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in high, precarious places and may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/ or humid and temporarily hot or cold temperature conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, biohazardous materials / agents, infectious disease, and risk of electric shock.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
• The employee must be approved to wear respiratory, eye and hearing protection.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.