Abbott Park Road Lake Bluff, IL 60044 US
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Engineering organization is looking for an experienced and motivated individual to serve as a Commissioning Engineer (CE). The purpose of this role is to perform the process of verifying all of the mechanical (HVAC), plumbing, electrical, fire/life safety, interior systems (i.e. laboratory units), co-generation, utility plants, process related subsystems, lighting, and other components of a building or industrial plant are designed, installed, tested, operated, and maintained according to the owner’s project requirements(OPR).
The CE provides project management of commissioning activities and consulting for the engineering department’s projects and other activities, such as, but not limited to, commissioning new construction, renovation, and existing refrigeration, HVAC, lighting and control automation systems for manufacturing, laboratory, utilities and office buildings, testing, startup and qualification, and related facilities activities. The CE provides guidance to client owners, project managers, internal/external technicians, field engineers and outside contractors to assure a timely and correct completion of assigned activities. The CE advises/directs or approves conditions under which tests are conducted, sequences and phases of test operations by simulation and/or at equipment.
The CE directs and exercises control over operational, functional, and performance phases of tests or is advised of the activities when working with external commissioning providers.
The CE develops and/or reviews an evaluation of system performance under actual operating conditions; Writes and/or reviews technical reports and develops charts, graphs, and schematics to describe and illustrate system's operating characteristics, malfunctions,
deviations from design specifications, and functional limitations; Analyzes and interprets test data and prepares technical reports for use by engineering and management personnel.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
• Must be capable of working independently and resolving design conflicts
and/or ambiguous instructions.
• Must work well with key project stakeholders (i.e. management, project
management, multidisciplined engineers, contractors, end-users and scientists, etc. in understanding task requirements.)
• Must be able to adapt to changing requirements and meet project
commitments/objectives without sacrificing workmanship or quality.
• Read, analyze, and interpret plans, submittals, mechanical specifications, and
• Ability to read and interpret architectural, electrical, mechanical and control
• Strong background in HVAC Controls/Building Automation, Applications
Engineering and DDC Programming.
• Experience with control systems including PLCs, VFDs, HMIs and networks;
HVAC equipment experience is a plus.
• Mechanical and / or electrical aptitude, excellent problem-solving skills,
critical thinking skills and decisive judgment skills are a must.
• Knowledge of advanced programming in the Siemens Automation system to
include complex lab controls, variable frequency drives, and integrated building
• Performs database management of HVAC field panels and controllers. Installs
DDC controls, programming, and graphics for renovations, upgrades, or system
• Troubleshoots programming of building HVAC systems. Skilled in
programming, commissioning, and graphic design.
• Adheres to all regulatory and code requirements including quality,
environmental and foreign trade processes and procedures.
• Shares ideas about process improvements and other cost saving measures
with project team and management.
• May be required to work split or alternate shifts. Must be able to travel for
extended periods as required for installations.
• Prompt and accurate completion of all field paperwork, client reports, time &
• Approximately 25% to 45% of the work will require domestic and/or
international travel, 1 to 3 weeks per month on average.
• Time away from main office may be extended depending on the
requirements of the project.
• Must be capable of providing technical assistance in his/her selected area as
well as, recommend alternatives to the lead engineer or development person.
• Must be capable of providing training to production operators in the use of
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid
conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in
mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete
• Must be capable of good verbal and written communication skills. Must have
excellent interpersonal skills to successfully interface with production, engineering
staff, and various development and maintenance groups.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and
maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and technical specifications.
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate
effectively and respectfully to customers or employees within and external to the
• Must be a self-starter, performing job duties independently and/or with little
direct supervision, and capable of organizing his/her work as well as the work of
assigned technical persons, and or outside contractors.
• Conducts work with the highest levels of professionalism, client respect,
integrity, and customer service.
• Knowledge of cGMP and quality systems for medical, diagnostics, pharma
and nutrition is a plus.
• Proficient using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook for reporting and email
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
• Bachelor's degree of Engineering or Engineering Technology from a fouryear college or university (preferred); or Associate’s (A.S. or A.A.) from junior
college or other collegiate institution with five to ten years related experience
and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Certified Commissioning Provider (preferred) – BCA, ACG, NEBB, or ASHRAE
is a plus
• Experience with commercial and/or industrial refrigeration/HVAC, lighting,
and utilities systems.
• Experience with programming, operation and maintenance of Siemens BAS
and associated I/O devices is a plus.
• Experience with troubleshooting and commissioning of commercial and/or
industrial refrigeration systems, HVAC units, utilities distribution and controls
(multiple platforms is a plus)
• Commercial/Industrial HVAC Air/Water Balancing experience – NEBB or
AABC certification is a plus
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.