Contracts Associate II
1 DNA Way South San Francisco, CA 94080 US
This position will report into the Research Contracts Group (RCG) within the R&D organization. The successful candidate will draft and negotiate agreements (pre-execution through post-execution) to assist with contract overflow work from the Research Contracts Group.
Responsibilities may include:
Draft and negotiate agreements ranging from moderately to highly complex, including but not limited to material transfer agreements, service agreements, license agreements and research collaboration agreements to support the scientific and business needs of the Research organization. This position will work closely with RCG team members and will regularly liaise with Research scientists, senior management, Legal, Finance, Compliance as well as external vendors, tech transfer and sponsored research offices. The successful candidate must have an understanding of legal terminology and experience negotiating agreements.
- At the direction of RCG team members, draft and negotiate material transfer agreements, collaboration agreements, sponsored research agreements, license agreements, service agreements, confidential disclosure agreements and various other agreements.
- Working with external third parties to negotiate said agreements in accordance with company playbooks, policies and guidance documents
- Manage and prioritize a moderate to high case load of agreements with input/direction from RCG team members and leadership.
- Ensure that agreements comply with all applicable Research and company policies and procedures.
- Ensure that payments and other obligations under executed agreements are handled appropriately and according to timelines; work with Procurement and Vendor Finance to obtain P.O.s, submit license and other fees for processing in a timely manner.
- Handle all execution and post-execution processing of agreements, including the signature process, recording agreements in database, filing agreements with the corporate records group, invoice submission and compiling tax forms for vendor finance.
- Data entry in the relevant databases.
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience drafting and negotiating contracts ranging from medium to high complexity.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to independently and creatively solve problems.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong time management, prioritization and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented, a team player attitude, reliable and a high work ethic are essential.
- Should be comfortable working with databases and enterprise business systems.
- Understanding of intellectual property, privacy laws and AI/ML a plus.
- Astute learner with ability to grasp new concepts and ideas quickly
- Should be comfortable with standard office suites such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.) and Google Applications (Mail, Calendar, Documents, etc.)
- Bachelors degree or Paralegal certificate preferred, but will consider practical experience in lieu of a degree.
- A Bachelors degree in a scientific discipline or a JD is a plus.
Pay rate range: $40-$50/hr. Salary will be commensurate with experience
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.