Director of Preclinical Research
280 UTAH AVE., SUITE 200 SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94080 US
We are using the emerging tools of genetic medicine to engineer cures for human diseases. We believe these powerful new approaches can be used to treat, or cure, common diseases that afflict large numbers of patients. To realize this vision, we are building therapeutics that modify and control multiple genes at the DNA, RNA, and protein level in vivo. We have a vibrant, collaborative workplace that supports our team in performing great science while bringing their whole selves to work. We are seeking several highly motivated, creative individuals to join our growing team.
About the Role:
The Director of Preclinical Research will lead the design of scientifically rigorous in vivo studies, selecting appropriate animal models and experimental protocols. Working in close collaboration with our therapeutic program and platform technology teams, you will:
- Develop strategic plans for in vivo research, including vendor selection and management, budgeting, and resource allocation.
- Coordinate assay development and execution of bioanalytical assays and other study read-outs, working with both internal and external resources.
- Manage, oversee, train, and mentor scientists and research associates and foster a collaborative environment within the team and with external partners
- Ensure the quality of in vivo studies conducted by external vendors, including compliance with all regulatory and ethical standards.
- Ensure the proper documentation and interpretation of study results and the preparation of scientific reports and presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Collaborate with senior company leadership to ensure the advancement of scientific objectives.
- In all cases, you will ensure that study design and execution aligns with the company's research goals, timelines, and budgets.
- A Ph.D. in pharmacology, physiology, drug delivery, genetics or a related life sciences discipline, with >5 years of drug development experience leading preclinical assay development efforts.
- Extensive experience in leading and designing in vivo studies, with a proven track record in managing external vendor relationships, including contract negotiation and oversight.
- In-depth knowledge of animal models used in drug development research and experience in applying these models to in vivo studies.
- Strong leadership abilities, with experience in managing scientific teams and fostering collaborative internal and external research environments. Demonstrated ability to work closely with senior leadership to ensure research efforts align with organizational strategy.
- Experience working with gene editing and/or gene therapy applications, including refinement of core technology for specific targets.
- Experience working in dynamic startup and/or small company environments that necessitate pitching in and assisting with a wide variety of important tasks.
- A desire to create effective policies and procedures from the ground up.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.