Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
1 DNA Way South San Francisco, CA 94080 US
This position is part of the EHS function. EHS plays an essential role in protecting our right to operate and serving as a steward for the organization's culture embracing prevention and problem solving to reduce risks and protect our people, environment and pipeline on our SSF campus and network of places, including field based employees. Here, compliance is a shared responsibility with the business.
This position will work closely with EHS program managers, business partners and clients to assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of a variety of EHS programs, projects and initiatives. These efforts are intended to balance protection against risk with the need to deliver with speed and add value to the business. Under general oversight and direction this individual will use their independent analysis skills and judgment to deliver in support of EHS activities which may include:
- Inspections and assessments
- Program audits
- Training development and delivery
- Metrics tracking and reporting
- Assisting others to conduct incident investigations
- Developing corrective/preventive action plans with clients
The ideal candidate will have experience in the practical application of multi-disciplinary EHS programs, work with a high sense of urgency, possess excellent communication and teamwork skills and be resourceful and eager to develop. Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Executes tasks in support of EHS programs with general direction and guidance from the EHS AD or EHS supervisor, program managers and business partners. The work may include: inspections, assessments, program audits, incident investigations, data reporting, monitoring and report submissions.
- Supports daily EHS client needs alongside program managers and business partners, including: responding to inquiries from clients, participating in meetings and assisting with incident investigations and corrective & preventive actions (CAPAs).
- Conducts EHS program compliance assurance audits, including data collection, employee interviews and area walkthroughs.
- Supports EHS program managers and business partners in their effort to proactively identify opportunities and solutions to improve EHS programs.
- Assists with the development and delivery of EHS training. Works with EHS program managers to improve training materials and effectiveness.
- Participates in some regulatory inspections and internal/external audits.
- Maintains applicable safety and environmental permits and permit conditions.
- Supports engagement and communications with clients and EHS staff regarding EHS activities and performance.
- Responds to client inquiries and requests with a high sense of urgency.
- Assists with project prioritization and promotion of a proactive EHS culture, leveraging knowledge built of EHS business processes.
- Participates and supports business process improvement activity as a team member, contributing to a proactive EHS culture. Identifies opportunities from challenges. Champions EHS with key stakeholders.
- Serves as needed as a Safety Officer during disaster/emergency response and recovery efforts. May also be required to serve as EHS Advisor (technical expert) for the emergency response team during company-related emergencies.
Competencies Identified for Success:
- Experience with practical application of safety, environmental (i.e, OSHA, EPA, DOT, NIOSH, etc.) and other regulatory requirements applicable to GMP and non-GMP environments.
- Works well in a fast-paced environment and makes sound EHS decisions with some oversight and direction.
- Effective communicator in both verbal and written formats; comfortable with leading meetings, delivering training and developing written communications.
- Responsive to client and other stakeholder inquiries and requests with a high sense of urgency.
- Proactive in their approach to finding opportunities and solutions for EHS program implementation and improvement.
- Demonstrates the ability to support multiple program managers and business partners simultaneously, while staying organized and focused.
- Highly effective team player and collaborator. Strong comfort working in a matrix environment and leveraging expertise across functions. This may include participating in agile teams focused on creating value for the business.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills (Minimum requirements)
- Education: BA or BS in occupational safety, environmental/health sciences or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 2-7 years of relevant experience, preferably in pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device or high tech industries
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint as well as the Google suite of programs (gMail, gCal, docs, sheets, slides, etc.)
Target Pay Rate Range: $25-45/hr. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.