In vivo Research Associate, Biology Research Operations
700 Saginaw Drive Redwood City, CA 94063 US
Seeking an individual with a background in rodent laboratory animal research. The position will be responsible for independently dosing mice by oral gavage or intraperitoneal injection as well husbandry and janitorial tasks in a Viviarum that houses only mice. This role would be for weekends and holidays 16-40 hours a week. Consistent weekend and holiday shifts are required.
- Perform dosing independently (oral gavage and IP) according to instructions.
- Collect tissue samples and measurements (body weight and tumor volume using calipers)
- Perform animal husbandry for laboratory mice including: cage changing, provide food and water, provide housing and enrichment.
- Receive, house, and inspect incoming mice.
- Maintain high standards of animal welfare and report any health concerns to appropriate personnel.
- Routinely and accurately fill out laboratory records including: daily animal health checks, room temperature/humidity readings, cleaning/husbandry, and facility maintenance.
- Cleaning and maintenance of a pathogen free animal research facility.
- Restock supplies.
- Communicate using Microsoft Outlook, Teams, and Zoom.
- Follow protocols and operate equipment with training such as: changing stations, autoclave, and hydrogen peroxide vaporizer.
Required Skills, Experience and Education:
- Able to consistently work weekends and holidays.
- Have worked with rodents in research or laboratory setting
- Proficiency with in vivo mouse dosing (PO and IP)
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions in English
- Detail-oriented and comfortable keeping detailed laboratory records.
- Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work to Redwood City, CA
- Physical Demands: Activities may require standing for extended periods. Able to carry and lift up to 50 pounds, maneuver items and carts exceeding 50 pounds
Preferred Skills, Experience and Education:
- Proficiency with in vivo mouse skills such as dosing (SC and IV), tumor inoculation/measurements, survival and terminal blood collection, and handling of tissues during necropsy and processing for ex vivo analysis (collecting organs in formalin, transferring from formalin to the ethanol, or flash freezing in liquid nitrogen).
- Familiarity with Studylog, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Zoom, and Smartsheet.
- Research experience with mouse models of cancer.
- target pay - 28-34 per hour
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.