Instrument Support Specialist
101 Customer Site Street Roxbury Crossing, MA 02120 US
Target Pay Rate: 25-32/hr **salary will be commensurate with experience
We are looking for a highly motivated Instrument Support Specialist to provide critical, on-site, scientific and operational support as part of a dynamic lab service team. The role is mainly responsible for supporting Flow Cytometry and FACS equipment and scientists operators as requested by our pharmaceutical customer. Other general lab responsibilities will also be required, all of which require a high level of attention to detail to provide a quality service.
This position will report to an onsite facility full-time in Cambridge, MA.
- Perform general and routine on FACS equipment maintenance, timely instrument start-up/shutdown, QC/QA of cytometers following documented Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Perform equipment troubleshooting and fix routine FACS equipment issues.
- Keep track of & order basic supplies, helping to coordinate service visits by technicians (contacting / scheduling non-routine instrument maintenance and repair).
- Assist with scheduling & calendar management, operation of cytometers & sorters
- Respond to queries, communications, and workflows with flow labs to ensure consistency and timely resolution
- Become familiar with all software used in the facility
- Demonstrates appropriate use of relevant equipment after training
- Maintain training and compliance in areas of health and safety, security, environmental and operational aspects of daily activities in the working environment.
- Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities of this job at any time
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Ability to follow oral and written directions
- Ability to work independently
- Basic experience with MS Office: Excel, Word, and Outlook Basic
- Associate Degree with 0-2 years of experience in a scientific or lab environment OR High School Diploma with 2+ years of experience in a scientific or lab environment.
- Associate Degree in a scientific field
- Experience in a laboratory environment
- A highly qualified candidate will have experience with flow cytometry systems
- Must be able to work in a laboratory, controlled environments requiring personal protective equipment (e.g., lab coat, safety glasses, etc.) in laboratory.
- Job pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position more than 25% of the time
- The person needs to occasionally move between labs, corridors, adjoining rooms, and buildings onsite.
- Frequently operate on instruments, objects, tools or controls, which will require regularly bending, squatting, stretching and reaching in order to perform in a service function.
- Occasionally move or lift up to 25 pounds (potential for occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds).
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include without limitation, the ability to observe details at close range distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus in order to perform the essential service functions of this position.
- Occasionally operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Employee may be required to handle hazardous waste according to local, state, and federal regulations. Duties may include identifying, handling, generating, accumulating, storing and labeling hazardous waste.
- Potential risk to lab-based hazards including but not limited to extreme temperature, biological materials, hazardous chemicals.
- May be required to complete Medical Clearance, Respiratory Protection Training, and Fit Testing to wear a respirator as protection against animal allergens where animals are present in the laboratory environment.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.