Laboratory Animal Technician
1000 Dexter Ave Seattle, WA 98109 US
Target Pay Rate: 25-33.42/hr **salary will be commensurate with experience
The Veterinary Sciences (VS) department at BMS in Seattle, WA (SED) is seeking a Veterinary Sciences Technician to join their team.
Client is the industry leader in immuno-oncology and cardiovascular with life-saving medicines and a rich clinical portfolio of diverse modalities including monoclonal antibody, antibody drug conjugate, fusion protein, and combination regimes.
- Provides proper care and clean caging, diet, and drinking water to laboratory animals in assigned areas/rooms daily.
- Review environmental parameters, condition of animal rooms and equipment, and proper functioning of mechanical systems (e.g., HVAC, lighting, automatic drinking water, where appropriate) in assigned areas/rooms daily.
- Operates vivarium equipment as assigned.
- Observes animal behavior and health and reports any concerns to veterinary staff.
- Provides support for cage processing, including set-up and break-down for cleaning/disposal.
- Performs sanitization of work areas and performs general housekeeping duties.
- Participates in training and educational programs as required. In coordination with the Global Training team, may provide instruction to others on husbandry and technical procedures. Follows department SOPs, BMS guidelines, external guidelines and regulations related to animal care and use. May assist with providing input for new or revised procedural documents.
- Works cooperatively with other employees in efforts to achieve individual and department goals.
- Assist VS or research personnel with handling, restraint, and weighing animals, and various technical duties including compound administration, clinical observations, and sample collection as needed.
- As directed and under the supervision of a veterinarian, may assist in the provision of daily clinical veterinary care (basic medical treatments, diagnostic and technical laboratory procedures) for stock and research animals and maintains appropriate documentation.
- Assists with ordering, receiving, and maintaining necessary lab supplies.
- Assists with shipment and receipt of animals.
- Maintains awareness of active research projects.
- Perform all other related duties, as assigned.
Competencies - Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- The individual will have demonstrated ability to understand and follow SOPs and to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- The individual will have demonstrated ability to follow directions, communicate effectively, and work well in a team environment.
- The individual will have demonstrated the physical stamina and dexterity needed to handle laboratory animals, including species that may be difficult to work with, and the use of personal protective equipment.
- The individual must be proficient in using email, basic Microsoft office applications and department assigned mobile computer devices.
- The individual must have basic knowledge of biology and proper handling of various laboratory animal species.
- The individual must have experience with the use and maintenance of standard equipment within a research-based animal facility.
- Proficiency in various technical procedures including dosing, sample collection, and clinical observations is strongly preferred.
Experience - Responsibility and minimum number of years:
- Relevant experience typically attained with 3-5 years in a laboratory animal facility or other animal care/husbandry setting is required.
- Experience supporting in vivo research projects and performance of various rodent biomethodologies is strongly preferred.
- Experience providing hands-on teaching and training to others on animal care and technical procedures is strongly preferred.
- High school diploma, or equivalent, required.
- Bachelors or Associates degree, or equivalent, is preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- An AALAS certification of Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) is preferred. However, individuals who do not have their certification must obtain it within 12 months of assignment to this position.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.