Laboratory Assistant III
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 US
Supporting efforts to be the leader in neuroscience, this role plays a pivotal role in strengthening our reputation and leadership in Corporate Responsibility (CR). The role will help the Community Lab in RTP, NC achieve its goal to excite more students about science by exposing them to authentic hands-on laboratory experiences and the variety of career opportunities in the biotech industry. This role will also assist in maintaining and growing global community programs and engaging and inspiring employees.
This role will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the RTP Community Lab in RTP, NC including: coordinating scheduling and other logistical arrangements for student and teacher visits both local and global (virtual visits), ensuring that all protocols, reagents and materials are prepared for each class or program, recruiting employee volunteers, and most importantly, teaching the hands-on lab experiences to visiting middle and high school students. This role is also responsible for providing teacher professional development, developing and testing new curriculum pieces or other Community lab related projects, acting as a liaison with the local school districts and community groups and mentoring summer interns.
Additionally, this role will be responsible for assisting with employee engagement programs such as volunteer efforts, employee matching gifts and museum benefits.
- Teach established hands-on lab experiences for middle and high school students
- Maintain an orderly Community Lab space and prepare, order and keep track of reagents and documents (set-up and clean-up)
- Communicate with teachers and community groups and actively maintain the booking calendar
- Create communications to promote community efforts (example: emails, newsletters, updates to intranet, maintain Community Lab page on our website, and provide input on items for social media)
- Collect basic data on Community Lab usage
- Collaborate with external partners who assist with Community Lab programs, like Lemelson-MIT
- Coordinate employee volunteers
- Manage common email boxes
- Work cross-functionally with internal groups to coordinate corporate responsibility programs (example: employee kids events)
- Collaborate on opportunities to enhance presence in the community
- Assist with employee engagement programs (examples: volunteer efforts, employee matching gifts and local museum memberships)
- Bachelors degree is required preferably in the life sciences; or education
- Background in the biological sciences with demonstrated laboratory experience and strong understanding of the life sciences industry and key technologies and methods used in it
- Passionate and dynamic personality
- Enthusiasm for working with middle and high school students
- Team player and collaborative while able to lead independently and effectively prioritize workload
- Excellent oral and presentation/teaching skills with preferred classroom/teaching experience
- Demonstrated self-starter with excellent follow-through, attention to detail, organizational skills and high sense of urgency
- Creative, pioneering, agile and flexible.
- Possesses a natural curiosity and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
Salary will be commensurate with experience
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.