Media Prep & Lab Services Technician
1 DNA Way South San Francisco, CA 94080 US
About the department: This Media Prep Lab Services Technician works in the Media Prep and Lab Services (MPLS) team reporting into Materials Operations and Lab Services (MOLS). MOLS supports our South San Francisco workforce through a variety of delivery and supply services, and provides our science community with vital resources that power their life-changing research and development initiatives. Media Prep and Lab Services supports the science community by washing, cleaning and sterilizing glassware, and providing general glassware in various sizes as well as supplying microbiological media, cell culture media and various solutions and buffers.
- Support the Media Prep and Lab Services department by working effectively within the group to meet department goals, objectives, and tasks to achieve desired results.
- Responsible for completing assigned tasks, which include cleaning, sterilizing, prepping, and delivering labware and/or preparing stock and custom media buffers and reagents, managing inventory, and delivering media orders.
- Have knowledge of basic computer applications (Microsoft Word, Excel).
- Adhere to standing operating procedures (SOPs) or Internal Procedures (IPs), cGMPs and other established procedures as required.
- Wear proper PPE at all times. Report safety incidents and safety suggestions in a timely manner through the Genentech reporting system (STARI). Stay in compliance by completing safety training on time.
- Prioritize tasks and assignments to maximize efficiency and productivity.
- Physical demands of tasks may include pushing and pulling of carts, working on feet for several hours, and lifting materials of up to 45lbs.
Assigned Work and Support Tasks:
- Ensure distribution satellites are maintained with required media inventory levels utilizing FIFO (First In-First Out).
- Assist Lab Services Technicians as necessary.
- Assist Media Prep technicians as necessary.
- Update labware and media deliveries on inventory sheets and request systems daily
- Complete assigned support tasks on time including maintenance of satellites and organization of the lab.
- Provide routine updates to Supervisor/leads on progress, status, and issues associated with labware or media delivery and stock inventory status.
- Participate in process improvement initiatives and 5S as assigned.
- Adjust to schedule changes, work overtime as necessary and float between groups as needed to support operations.
- Ensure that all work is completed by the end of the day. Utilize time wisely to maximize productivity.
- Asks for additional responsibilities or assignments when able
- Serve as a liaison between customers and lab staff.
- Communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Inform others of status, issues, and customer requests as necessary. Responds to new requests with appropriate urgency and an organized approach.
- Adhere to appropriate laws, GNE regulations and programs, and GMP documentation procedures.
- Adhere to safety. Follow safety guidelines as required for your area.
- Maintain training through Cornerstone and ensure you stay current to complete assigned tasks. Complete training records in a timely manner.
- May operate lab process equipment as necessary including autoclaves, ovens, washers, osmometers, pH meters, etc.
- Will drive a company vehicle, must have a valid drivers license.
Ideal candidate will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Collaboration and Teamwork: Addresses and resolves conflict by creating an atmosphere of openness and trust, Establishes strong collaborative relationships, looks for opportunities to help others
- Achieving Results: Holds self accountable to fulfill assigned tasks and achieve results within timelines, Analyzes and learns from mistakes
- Foster speak-up culture: Maintains professionalism in the presence of conflict, Offers productive and relevant views and information to impact decisions, Constructively accepts decisions made that are different than own view, Demonstrates respect and appreciation for diversity of perspectives and approaches among colleagues
Education: Candidates must have at least a high school degree, or at least 2 years of relevant experience. Background or experience in science or biotech is a plus.
Pay Rate Range: $20-25/hr. Salary will be commensurate with experience
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.