REMOTE Patent Counsel / Patent Agent
Remote Remote, CA 00000 US
Position Scope and Key Responsibilities:
Key Responsibilities include:
- Strategic IP procurement and management of global intellectual property rights for individual small molecule (pharmaceutical) and/or large molecule (biopharma or biotechnology, including antibodies, gene therapy and other modalities) candidates and products or technology innovation (e.g., research tools, assays, manufacturing improvements) including drafting & prosecuting patent portfolios, freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation strategies.
- Excels in working independently and proactively with minimal direction, and strong organizational skills.
Specific Daily Responsibilities & Associated Skill Sets may include:
- Designing & delivering impactful global IP portfolios from invention capture to patent issuance and beyond for individual small molecule (pharmaceutical) and/or large molecule (biopharma or biotechnology, including antibodies, gene therapy and other modalities) candidates and products. Managing and prosecuting active global dockets, including drafting and handling U.S. and foreign patent applications.
- Rendering freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, risk evaluation, and mitigation strategies for individual program molecules, technologies, and tools.
- Identifying and exploiting new strategic opportunities & approaches leveraging a deep understanding of patent law.
- Maintaining and sharing expertise and knowledge on legal case law, rules, and regulations before the US Patent & Trademark Office as well as other relevant jurisdictional IP offices
Demonstrated experience and track record of success in:
- Building & leveraging global IP portfolios for small molecule pharmaceuticals and/or large molecule (biopharma or biotechnology, including antibodies, gene therapy and other modalities) products at all stages of prosecution;
- Designing and executing complex freedom to operate analyses across different technologies and different jurisdictions; developing and communication actionable risk mitigation strategies;
- Experience with IP transactions and due diligence is a plus;
- 7+ years of experience in pharmaceutical and/or biopharma/biotechnology intellectual property portfolio creation, strategy, and counseling.
- Preferably prior experience in a pharmaceutical corporation.
- An advanced degree in an area relevant to pharmaceutical IP practice. A Ph.D. is highly desired.
- For attorneys, a United States law degree (JD) with a current good standing admission to at least one US state bar.
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Pay Rate Range: $60-70/hr. Salary will be commensurate with experience
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.