Research Associate - III
Foster City San Mateo, CA 94404 US
Research Associate III: Histology and Digital Image Scanning Specialist with an emphasis in Pathology Biosample Management:
The Pathobiology Group is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Research Associate III (RAIII) with expertise in histotechniques, automated digital slide scanning, and research biosample management to join our team. The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in pathology lab procedures, hands-on experience with automated slide scanning systems, and the ability to effectively manage tissue biosamples for research purposes. This role requires meticulous attention to detail, strong organizational skills, proficiency in histology techniques, and familiarity with digital pathology workflows. This position is an on-site, lab role based in Foster City, CA.
Histotechnician Job Responsibilities:
- Perform histotechniques with exceptional precision, including tissue intake, embedding, FFPE/FF tissue sectioning, routine H&E staining, and mounting of research specimens.
- Utilize outsourcing to carry out large volume histology services to offset internal workload.
- Prepare solutions, stains, and reagents in accordance with standard lab practices.
- Perform routine H&E staining on slides.
- Perform and monitor inventory of supplies and reagents used and place orders for replenishment.
- Assess the integrity of tissue blocks and evaluate how much tissue is remaining in block.
Tissue Biosample Management Job Responsibilities:
- Act as point of contact for receiving and returning of specimens from Biobanking and Sample Management Lab according to standard practice.
- Register, Store, and Retrieve samples from internal block management system.
- Accession samples in the inventory database.
- Assist in cataloguing samples and performing regular audits of the biobank inventory.
- Maintain and track chain of custody on Clinical and GLP samples through LIMS system.
- Gather and collect generated tissue QC data from pathologists and scientists and merge information in block inventory spreadsheet.
- Assist with selecting samples from inventory based on scientist/pathologist criteria-proficient datamining skills are required.
Digital Slide Scanning Job
- Receive and perform inventory of slides by checking against a sample manifest or generate a manifest if not provided.
- Clean slides and load into automated whole slide scanner and follow the scanning workflow.
- Perform a QC check of scanned slides to ensure the tissue is in focus.
- Batch rename image files.
- Perform a second QC check to ensure that all renamed images match the actual slide labels.
- Transfer scans to database and file slides and paperwork accordingly.
- Troubleshoot scanners and software.
- BS in life science or science-related field.
- HT/HTL(ASCP) certification is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years of related histotechnology experience and/or 2+ years of biotech industry experience.
- Must have strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office Excel, SharePoint, Power Automate/Power Apps is desirable.
- Experience in a histology, molecular biology, or similar laboratory preferred.
- Experience in biospecimen management for research purposes, including sample collection, processing, storage, and distribution.
- The performance of duties may require frequent lifting and carrying objects of up to 50 pounds .
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual tools and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all whichdemand significant manual dexterity.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.