Research Associate I
1 DNA Way South San Francisco, CA 94080 US
A research group that focuses on early stage discovery research, exploring the basic biology of stem cell de-regulation by inflammatory conditions and aging. The lab uses the Drosophila model system to explore mechanisms that cause the loss of homeostasis in multiple biological contexts. Current projects in the lab focus on the control of tissue regeneration and repair, metabolic homeostasis, and cell death, taking advantage of the wide range of genetic, molecular, and genomic techniques available for Drosophila.
The candidate will assist with organizing and maintaining the Drosophila stock collection, performing genetic screens and executing regeneration and aging studies using the fly. The work will focus on general lab organization and management, but may include support or leadership on specific projects.
- Techniques to be trained in include: Drosophila genetics and husbandry, RNA, DNA isolation from tissues, PCR, gel electrophoresis and Western blotting, and biochemical assays, immunocytochemistry, epifluorescence and confocal microscopy, molecular biology and biochemical analysis.
- Other tasks will be as required by the supervisor and project scientists.
- The candidate must be high flexible to handle urgent project-based requests and to perform multiple laboratory duties.
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills. Team Oriented, dependable, self starter.
- Ability to follow detailed verbal and written instruction.
- At least 6 months lab experience, preferably in a research environment.
- Experience with Drosophila culture and genetics is preferable.
- The candidate will be expected to have proficiency with general molecular biology and genetic techniques.
- Must be self-motivated, able to multi-task, and meet timelines efficiently and productively.
- Strong verbal communication, writing, and listening skills, as well as interpersonal skills required.
- Excellent skills in communication, organization, flexibility and an eagerness to learn.
- Must be highly motivated team player and work well with others.
- BS/BA or higher in Genetics, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Immunology, Stem Cell Biology or related field.
- Specific skills include: Drosophila culture and genetics (at least 6 months to a year experience preferred), Molecular biology, biochemistry, and standard laboratory techniques.
- Familiar with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Prism.
- Experience with confocal, light, and fluorescence microscopes a plus.
- Able to keep data accurately, as well as read, comprehend, and discuss research materials.
- Able to prioritize and perform efficiently.
Pay Rate Range - 35-45/hr. Salary will be commensurate with experience
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.