10300 Campus Pointe Drive San Diego, CA 92121 US
The Oncology Discovery team at the Oncogenesis Thematic Research Center is seeking a Research Associate to support our drug discovery and characterization efforts. An early-career level position. Familiarity with core industry and lab practices and standards. Solves routine problems of limited scope and complexity. The qualified candidate will leverage various CRISPR/Cas9 technologies to enable genetic screens to support early and late stage drug mechanism of action studies. They will assist senior team members in performing the totality of the screening process, including cell line generation, cell treatment experiments, NGS library preparation, and target validation. Common skills and techniques used will include mammalian cell culture, DNA/protein isolation, PCR, and western blot.
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills and will be capable of working collaboratively in a multidisciplinary environment. 0-3 years post-undergraduate, wet lab research experience required; no PhD candidates.
This position is in San Diego, CA, 100% on-site, lab-based role.
Required Competencies: Essential Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Bachelors degree in a scientific discipline (no PhD candidates)
- 0-3 years of wet lab research experience and basic knowledge of cancer biology
- Experience in mammalian cell culture and cell-based assays
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize time management of daily activities to deliver timely results
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Basic molecular biology skills, including PCR and western blotting, highly preferred
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design research protocols in collaboration with senior researchers
- Execute existing cellular and molecular biology protocols in the laboratory
- Maintain cancer cell lines and establish new stable lines via lentiviral transduction
- Perform genetic targeting using siRNA, shRNA or CRISPR/Cas9 technology for cell line characterization and screening, including studies performed on a genome-wide scale
- Conduct routine molecular and cellular experiments including gDNA and RNA isolation, PCR, cloning, western blot analysis, flow cytometry, and microplate cell proliferation assays
- Identify experimental issues, troubleshoot, and recommend a corrective course of action
- Record data in electronic notebook in accordance to company policy
- Communicate results in written and oral presentations
Skills: cell culture
28-34 pay rate range
**salary will be commensurate with experience**
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.