Scientist - I (Assistant)
213 East Grand Avenue South San Francisco, CA 94080 US
Target Pay Rate: 22-25.30/hr **salary will be commensurate with experience
The Anatomic Pathology group at client Research Laboratories, South San Francisco, is seeking an experienced, self-motivated, highly collaborative contract histotechnician/histotechnologist (up to 6 months) to join us to help support basic research, mechanistic studies, and biomarker development for evaluations of candidate therapeutics.
The successful candidate will have a strong histology background, excellent organizational skills, and the capacity to handle multiple responsibilities in a team environment, often under stringent time pressures.
Responsibilities for the position will include:
- Assistance with mouse tissue collection/tissue handling at necropsy.
- Familiarity with and implementation of routine fixation and decalcification protocols
- Grossing in of a wide array of human and animal tissues, both osseous and non-osseous
- Assistance with data entry and database updating for specimens in in-house tissue bank.
- Fixed tissue processing and maintenance of tissue processors
- Tissue embedding into paraffin/OCT.
- Sectioning of FFPE and frozen tissue blocks
- Labeling of slides and tissue cassettes using automated slide and cassette printers
- Performance of routine (H&E) and special histochemical stains (both manual and automated)
- The successful candidate will be a strong communicator with good writing skills, which will be used to generate well-organized, comprehensive, and timely documentation of work planned and results on completion.
- The successful candidate may occasionally be responsible, with supervision, for designing small experiments to test new methods, improve old methods, and/or answer well-defined questions pertaining to tissue properties.
- The successful candidate will consult with investigators on points of technical detail regarding tissue handling as needed.
- Comfort with common office computer software (e.g. Microsoft Office) is essential.
Qualifications: Education: • BA or BS in the biological sciences Skills and Experience Required: • Minimum of 1- 3 year full-time work in a pathology, biological research, or clinical laboratory Preferred Skills and Experience: • HT(ASCP) or HTL(ASCP) certification • Familiarity with principles and techniques of immunohistochemistry
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.