Scientist - II (Associate) - PA/NJ Only
N Sumneytown Pike Upper Gwynedd, PA 19446 US
Large-Scale Protein Expression Position - The successful candidate will join the protein expression and purification team in the department of Infectious Diseases and Vaccines (IDVax). This team generates critical protein reagents for internal IDVax programs in support of target discovery and validation in the early discovery space. The primary focus for this position will be large-scale (up to 10 L) expression of recombinant proteins and virus-like particles (VLPs) by transient transfection of suspension mammalian cells across multiple expression systems, including shake flask and WAVE bioreactor technology. The candidate will report into a lead scientist in the expression group and work closely and coordinate with the protein purification and characterization group.
- Solid foundation in sterile, aseptic technique and sterile cell culture.
- Experience working in a biosafety cabinet (BSC) for sterile cell culture.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, including passaging cells, cell counting, determining cell density and dilutions.
- Experience with recombinant protein expression by transient transfection of mammalian cells.
- Proficiency in protein characterization techniques including SDS-PAGE, Western blot analysis, and UV-VIS spectroscopy.
- Detailed electronic notebook recordkeeping and meticulous maintenance of lab consumable and DNA inventories required.
- The successful candidate should have excellent organization and communication skills.
- Candidate must be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with suspension mammalian cell cultures preferred.
- Experience with large-scale (up to 10L) cell culture and bioreactor technology, including WAVE bioreactor systems, preferred.
- Experience with cell culture analyzers, including the BioProfile FLEX analyzer.
- Experience developing optimized expression conditions for hard to express proteins, including multimeric proteins.
Minimum/Preferred Education Requirements:
- MS in biology, biochemistry or related scientific field with 6mos laboratory experience. Or BS in biology, biochemistry or related scientific field with 2 or more years of relevant post-graduation work experience in a scientific setting, with preference given to industrial experience.
Salary will be commensurate with experience
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.