Scientist - II (Associate)
35500 W 91st St Johnson, KS 66018 US
Animal Health, R&D is looking for a scientist in animal health biologics group.
The Associate Scientist will be part of a highly collaborative team working towards obtaining new cattle vaccine licenses.
- The candidate will work semi-independently as a member of a project team to support development and evaluation of prototype viral and/or bacterial strains and vaccine platforms.
- The primary role of this candidate is performing laboratory activities following established procedures, technologies and methodologies as well as assisting in development of new assays.
- The candidate will organize and execute one or more general tasks within the department.
- Technical - The Associate Scientist will apply established procedures, technologies and methodologies to complete assignments, and detect deviations, investigate causes and suggest improvements.
- The candidate will support projects by performing the development, improvement and/or transfer of new or existing products, production processes or laboratory methods and techniques upon assignment by the supervisor.
- Laboratory work will involve general cell culture, virus propagation, microbiology culture, titration assays, neutralization assays, sterile technique, preparing and testing study samples, preparing vaccines, thorough documentation of laboratory work and results, and performing or optimizing/validating new assays, including but not limited to ELISA (enzyme linked immunosorbent assay), qPCR (quantitative polymerase chain reaction), IFA (immunofluorescent antibody assay), flow cytometry, HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography), and Western blot.
- The candidate will support training of Lab Technicians, trainees and new employees.
- Inter-departmental - the candidate will fulfill general tasks within the organization related to safety, compliance, and laboratory maintenance, and will interact closely with fellow scientists within own and other departments.
Education Minimum Requirement: B.S./B.A. degree in Microbiology, or a related field with 1-3years of experience in laboratory.
Required Experience and Skills**:
• Ability to conduct research project activities under supervision
• Ability to plan project activities and meet timelines
• Must have general experience with laboratory techniques
• Must have good verbal and written communication skills
• Must have good computer skills including knowledge of Word and Excel
Preferred Experience and Skills*/ *experience with one or more items on the list is essential/**most highly desired skills:
1. Mammalian cell culture techniques**
2. Viral culture and infectivity assays and/or bacterial culture**
3. Molecular biology and protein purification, biochemistry
4. Development of ELISA assays**
5. Serology and neutralizing antibody assays**
6. Familiarity with USDA product licensure requirements
Pay Range: 18-28/hr
Salary will be commensurate with experience
NYC and CO Candidates may not be considered
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.