Scientist I/II BioSpecimen Acquisition and Management
4300 Hacienda Drive Pleasanton, CA 94588 US
Position, Location and Scope
RMD is seeking a qualified and highly motivated individual for the role of Scientist II in BioSpecimen Management to support Culture Collection and Panel production activities. The BioSpecimen Acquisition and Management function at Client Diagnostic Solutions is a centralized service function which supports the acquisition, characterization, and management of biological materials, as well as build of select panels for clinical research and cultivation and characterization of various Microorganisms and Mammalian cell lines.
The Scientist II position will facilitate the daily operations associated with fulfilling service requests for Culture collection and panel activities, while providing best-in-class simple biological solutions to our customers to drive innovation at Client Diagnostic Solutions.
- Under minimal supervision, executes assigned project activities using established procedures and applying scientific knowledge and accumulated experience to complete projects involving manipulating human cell lines, microorganism and/or other biological material.
- Makes recommendations to resolve problems encountered while performing procedures.
- Receives general direction; plans and executes own work. May act as a project lead.
- Maintains an effective scientific knowledge base and effectively uses broad scientific concepts of to resolve problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Analyzes alternative approaches to solve problems or develop new perspectives on existing solutions.
- Responsible for the accuracy, quality, and timeliness of all assigned projects, tasks and related activities. Summarizes experimental results, and reviews conclusions with supervisor/project leader. May communicate the results of experiments in the form of reports and presentations.
- Accountable for electronic records management and use of validated systems ensuring information is recorded in a timely manner, accurately and consistently.
- Performs work according to established internal safety guidelines and procedures, and as specified by appropriate external regulatory agencies (e.g., OSHA).
- Participates in routine lab maintenance, lab safety, ISO, and QSR implementation.
Position Requirements & Experience:
- Experience with advanced molecular techniques and troubleshooting (such as: DNA Extractions, PCR, Nanodrop, Transformations, Plasmid Extractions, Gel Electrophoresis, Plasmid Linearization, Plasmid Sequence Alignment, RNA Transcript generation, etc.)
- Experience with culturing and expansion of various microorganisms and/or mammalian cell lines, including aseptic technique
- Experience with handling of FFPET blocks and curls
- Understanding of good laboratory, data and documentation practices
- Ability to plan work and determine next steps within the contexts of an overall project
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google applications
- Experience with LIMS software, eLN and JMP desired but not required
- Must be able to manually manipulate samples (plating, stocking, labelling and vialing) on a routine basis.
- Must be able to work in dynamic and collaborative team environment with multiple stakeholders across the organization.
- Must be able to work in laboratory environment on daily basis under BSL-2 laboratory conditions.
- Client facing experience is a plus.
Personal Characteristics & Cultural Fit:
- Must be well organized and meticulous.
- Flexibility with respect to projects, unique biological material handling requirements, and meeting client/organizational goals and expectations.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Truly passionate about the importance of biorepository management, as well as the ability to work in a global, matrix environment.
- Good cross-functional participation skills.
- Results and goals oriented.
Bachelors degree in Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology, or Microbiology or related field. Two to five years of relevant industry experience required.4
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.