Senior Analytical Chemist
710 Medtronic Parkway Minneapolis, MN 55432 US
Pay 35-45/h depending on experience
The position has the responsibility of performing analytical testing for metals and trace metals using Inductively Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-OES) and Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS). The candidate must possess advanced technical knowledge in multiple ICP analytical sample preparation techniques, instrumentation, and analysis; as well as excellent lab notebook documentation skills, and proficiency in report authoring. The role functions as part of an analytical chemistry team that works under ISO17025 requirements in the medical device field.
The Senior Chemist will work as part of product support & research and development team within the Analytical lab, under the work direction of the Principal ICP Chemist. Specific job duties will include triaging test requests to define testing protocols, instrument setup and performance verification, preparing samples, analyzing samples, and authoring reports. Additional duties may include supporting other project work in the lab that utilizes analytical techniques other than ICP-OES or ICP-MS.
The Senior Chemist must possess the ability to:
- Understand the application of ICP to a variety of material types; this includes a significant grasp of the scientific principles underlying the test method.
- Understand and define a testing pathway to address the client’s needs, which includes gaining an understanding of what problem/question the client is trying to solve and defining a protocol for the study.
- Execute the study protocol, including preparing and analyzing the samples, and interpreting the data.
- Create a report documenting the study outcome.
- Following up with clients to make sure the study information is understood and that they are satisfied with the work performed.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Chemistry or related discipline, with 5+ years of ICP experience
- Advanced technical knowledge of ICP-OES and/or ICP-MS
- Thorough understanding of decomposition chemistry and techniques for atomic spectroscopy analysis including dry ashing, open and closed vessel wet oxidation, and microwave assisted digestion.
- Experience in other analytical chemistry techniques, i.e. Titrations, Physical Property Measurements, Moisture Analysis, Particle Size, Surface Area, etc.
- Experience drafting analytical reports
- Experience and understanding of cGMP, ISO17025, FDA and ICH requirements
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work and be effective with minimal supervision
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills that are results oriented
- Strong ability to understand mathematical concepts related to laboratory data interpretation
- Proficient with Microsoft Word & Excel
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.