Senior R&D Technician
Libertyville, IL 60048 US
As the Senior R&D Technician, will be working in the R&D Ostomy Materials Analysis Group. The individual is a part of a larger team that works together to support cross functional team(s) in solving problems and developing new products and technologies. The individual can expect high collaboration and many opportunities to learn about materials and their properties and why they matter. Primary body of work focuses on manufacturing trouble shooting and supporting new product development. The individual can expect to interface with engineers and scientists along with their supervisor/team. The Sr. R&D Technician performs assigned tasks and contributes to the execution of projects through laboratory testing and basic analysis of test data and plays an active role in the integration of new technologies, methods, research, and processes.
- Perform prescribed laboratory tests using established test methods and procedures
- Assist with set-up, and maintenance of instruments and test equipment, including, but not limited to: FTIR spectrometer, Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC),Thermogravimetric Analyzers (TGA), Optical and Digital Microscopes, MTS Tensile test systems, Kin-Tek Gas Generation System, Minicams Gas Chromatograph, HPLC, GC, Tensiometer, Microtome, pH, physical properties of materials, and Acoustic testing.
- Assist in the development and validation (Gage R &R) of new test methods
- Contribute to the development of work instructions and test methods or SOPs.
- Prepares samples and prototypes
- Creates and maintains effective and accurate records
- Meets on-going training requirements related to such things as procedures and equipment use and maintenance
- Completes departmental equipment maintenance checklists
- Other duties as assigned
- Create and maintain effective and accurate records using laboratory notebooks, Biovia DocCompliance, MS Excel Spreadsheets, and the
- Create laboratory reports detailing testing results and basic statistical analysis
- Demonstrates interest in team activities and positively contributes to outcomes
- Ability to work independently, with direction from Senior Technicians, engineers, scientists, and Supervisor
- Identify and suggest ways to improve inefficiencies and eliminate roadblocks
- Stay current and up-to-date with training using LMS
- Other duties as needed or required
- 2-5 Years of overall experience is required
- Level I: 2 year Associates Degree or Trade Certification (or equivalent experience) and 2 yrs of related experience
- Level II: 2 year Associates Degree or Trade Certification (or equivalent experience) and 4 yrs of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree Chemistry, Biology, Engineering, Materials Science or other Science/technical field a plus
- Related work experience in a testing laboratory
- Ability to read, understand, and follow test methods and other work instructions
- Familiarity with stability protocols, and laboratory testing in a regulated environment
- Working knowledge (hands-on experience) of some laboratory equipment.
- Working knowledge of FTIR spectrometers, DSC, TGA, chromatography and SEM a plus
- Ability to troubleshoot and identify servicing requirements and failure modes of instruments and equipment a plus
- Ability to prioritize projects based on timelines and business needs
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Strong communication skills-verbal and written
- Understanding of basic statistical analysis
- Advanced knowledge of MTS Tensile Test Station, and Test Suite software, including mathematical calculations, conversions and formulations a plus
- Aptitude and interest in research to support work is a plus
- Knowledge of polymers and other material properties is a plus
Salary Range: 55-70k. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.