Senior Scientist I, Lead Discovery
1851 Harbor Bay Pkwy Alameda, CA 94502 US
SUMMARY: The Senior Scientist I, Lead Discovery is responsible for directing cutting-edge oncology research programs that leverage deep insights into cellular and pathway mechanisms, biochemical and mechanism of action, and target engagement assays to advance programs from concept to clinical proof-of-mechanism; identifying new technologies and advance research programs from discovery to development candidate nomination. This role supports the drug discovery pipelines by working with group leader on overall research studies, establishing decision-making cascades, aligning on go/no-go milestones, timelines and resourcing required for success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Designs, plans and leads compound profiling and projects focused on the targeting and interrogation of signaling pathways with a deep knowledge of cutting-edge approaches focused on hit and lead identification.
· Serves as a senior research staff member to provide research guidance in identifying, advancing, and supporting internal and external research collaborations in developing novel therapies
· Develops, evaluates, optimizes and implements new technologies, laboratory protocols, and methodologies for biochemical and cell-based assays to meet project goals and objectives.
· Remains current with relevant scientific advancements, competitive landscape, and new technologies, relevant to the research projects.
· Presents data and reports on project status to department head and at company project and research meetings.
· Communicates scientific results to corporate partners and/or collaborators.
· Interacts and collaborates with internal groups and departments to discuss and resolve program and/or department needs.
· Applies advanced scientific and technical principles, theories and concepts. Contributes to the development of new principles and concepts.
· Responds to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business/scientific communities.
· Maintains laboratory notebook in a complete, consistent and concise manner in accordance with company intellectual property policies and practices.
· Complies with company health and safety policies and general laboratory practices.
· Directly supervises employee(s)
· Ph.D. in biochemistry, cell biology, pharmacology or related field with post-doctoral experience
· A minimum of two to four years drug discovery relevant experience after completion of post-doctoral
· Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Experience managing projects and/or workgroups in biotechnology or pharmaceutical organizations including experience with coaching of employees
· Established strong publication track record in drug discovery research
· Broad understanding of cellular and biochemical assays as well as the detection technologies used in their execution
· Ability to collaborate with a cross-functional team
· Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced dynamic environment while delivering high quality work
· Broad understanding of drug discovery and development
· Ability to apply a variety of cutting-edge automation tools (liquid handlers, readers, etc.) to enable cellular assays
· In discussion with management, sets goals with understanding of priority and impact to the program, department and organization.
· Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
· Ability to write speeches and articles for publication as well as effectively present information to top management, customers, collaborators and formal groups.
· Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
· Works on extremely complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables.
· Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
· Uses professional concepts to contribute to the development of company concepts and principles and to achieve objectives in creative and effective ways.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.