Sr. Designer, Engineering
1821 Kettering Irvine, CA 92614 US
The main function of a commercial and industrial designer is to develop and design manufactured products, such as cars and home appliances. A typical commercial and industrial designer needs to combine artistic talent with research on product use, marketing, and materials to create the most functional and appealing product design.
- Prepare sketches of ideas, detailed drawings, illustrations, artwork, or blueprints, using drafting instruments, paints and brushes, or computer-aided design equipment.
- Modify and refine designs, using working models, to conform with customer specifications, production limitations, or changes in design trends.
- Coordinate the look and function of product lines.
- Confer with engineering, marketing, production, or sales departments, or with customers, to establish and evaluate design concepts for manufactured products.
- Read publications, attend showings, and study competing products and design styles and motifs to obtain perspective and generate design concepts.
- Design graphic material for use as illustration or advertising on manufactured materials and packaging or containers.
- Creativity, verbal and written communication skills and problem solving ability.
- Basic ability to utilize various forms of media, including print, electronic and film.
- Basic knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and models.
- Previous experience using the computer to create layouts and generate new images.
- Experience with Adobe imaging software (i.e., Illustrator, Photoshop), computer aided design (CAD) software and graphics software.
- Bachelor's degree in industrial design, architecture or engineering. Masters degree preferred.
- 5-7 years experience required.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.