Summer Intern, In Vitro Assays, Vector Biosciences
South San Francisco, CA 94080 US
The in vitro assays team is under the Vector Biosciences department and consists of a senior scientist, three scientists and four research assistants. The team's main focus is to develop in vitro assays to screen vector candidates in vitro to advance the group's pre-clinical programs. Our culture is characterized by a teamwork spirit driven by results and people, so we support an open, respectful, and transparent work environment.
Intern Position Summary
The role of this project is to help in the implementation of in vitro 3D cell culture models for gene therapy (such as organoids and engineered muscle tissue). The intern will carry out an independent project answering scientific questions. The responsibilities involve performing laboratory experiments for project needs, optimizing laboratory protocols, and communicating methodologies and results in team meetings.
Intern Job Responsibilities/Deliverables
- Culturing and maintaining various cell lines, including induced pluripotent stem cells
- Planning and performing basic molecular biology experiments RNA, DNA and protein extraction, PCR, RT-qPCR, Western blot and ELISAs
- Analyzing and interpreting experimental results
- Optimizing laboratory protocols and procedures
- Keeping clear records of experiments performed
- Presenting results in Vector Biosciences team meetings
- Pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree in life sciences
- Must have an interest in pursuing a career in Life Sciences/Biotech/Pharmaceuticals
- Interest in cell and stem cell biology, and in vitro assays
- Ability to manage workload effectively under supervision
Benefits of the Internship
The intern will receive experience in state-of-the-art in vitro technologies such as induced pluripotent stem cells and functional organoid systems. By joining the in vitro assays team, the intern will get an understanding of a completion of a project from start to finish, and how this is integrated with the company pipeline eventually providing treatment to patients. They will contribute to team's productivity and get exposed to culture and work environment of a large pharmaceutical company and interact with scientists coming from diverse backgrounds. Finally, the intern will have the opportunity to receive mentoring and training from experienced scientists at different levels.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.