Summer Intern, Medical Affairs, Patient Advocacy and Engagement (Remote)
Remote Northbrook, IL 60558 US
Pay 23-27/h depending on experience
Patient Advocacy and Engagement is an evolving function at AGT accountable for understanding and incorporating the patient and caregiver’s experience into business and healthcare decision making to enable innovative science to become a reality and transform the life of people with rare disease.
We work in a collaborative cross-functional environment to ensure the patient perspective is captured along the lifecycle of our therapies and engage the patient community to advance their advocacy agenda and participate early in the development process. In our role is critical to translate business objectives into opportunities to engage patient organizations (POs) representing different rare disease to co-create possibilities that enable successful clinical trials, stakeholders’ education, and collaboration to address together common healthcare challenges and improve patient outcomes.
Our small, dynamic, and passionate team, in a process to be expanded, creates an opportunity to join forces and learn from experts in the field, why a patient centric approach is becoming fundamental to develop gene therapies and bring meaningful solutions to patients, caregivers and families affected by rare diseases.
Intern Position Summary
The PA&E 2023 summer intern will support the PA&E department with key programs and initiatives to ensure the voice of the patient is incorporated into our development programs to deliver meaningful outcomes and resources for the patient community.
The ideal candidate for this position demonstrates a genuine desire to learn more about the role the patient advocacy function holds in the development of meaningful clinical programs and lifecycle. This individual will be responsible for overall department support including: support with Patient Advocacy Organizations (PAO) funding requests, patient-focused employee engagement events, conferences participation, development of educational resources and other tasks as indicated by the executive director and senior manager.
Intern Job Responsibilities/Deliverables
- Manage patient-related grant and sponsorship tracking, agreements, and key processes
- Lead planning and implementation of patient-related virtual events for employees
- Development of select educational resources to support the programs and department, including patient brochure, disease-specific educational materials, website etc.
- Manage specific patient conference and meeting logistics
- Lead coordination and vendor management for select patient insight initiatives
Intern Qualifications and Skills
- Pursuing a bachelors or masters degree in life sciences or a related field with a minimum GPA of 3.3
- Must have an interest in pursuing a career in Life Sciences/Biotech/Pharmaceuticals
- Ability to manage workload effectively including planning, organizing, prioritizing, and meeting deadlines
- Demonstrates genuine compassion, empathy, and caring deeply for the patients and families we have the honor to partner with and learn from
- Experience with process management, management of projects, or organizing work plans and collateral, internal and external communications, or other experience with transferable competencies
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to appropriately adapt communications to diverse audiences
- Demonstrates sound judgement and ethics
- Mentored to develop a patient centric mindset
- Trained to build patient acumen skills
- Learn how to engage with people affected with rare diseases
- Understand how the patient advocacy work is done across geographies
- Expose to cross-functional work
- Expose to patient leaders from different communities and organizations
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.