Systems Specialist III
1 DNA Way South San Francisco, CA 94080 US
The systems specialist role will be part of the Workplace Digital Insights team which supports making key data-driven decisions for the Real Estate and Workplace Effectiveness(RE&WE) organization. We help this organizations forward planning strategies for South San Francisco ranging from developing real estate strategies, to campus planning, building investments, occupancy planning and move management.
Our team designs, builds, integrates and operationalizes technology applications that are customized to meet those organizational business needs. We are responsible for the end to end lifecycle of key applications and data streams that feed our Analytics team and Business Operations teams with high quality, well defined data. These data and data streams are critical to those applications and reporting platforms. Important business data originates from real time sensors, Wi-Fi, other databases, and people, then pipelines into storage, validation and then it is combined with other data in cloud storage, processed by software applications, and ends in visualization and decision support.
This specialized role will have to use a wide range of skills to understand business requests, identify the problem and break it into their business process, functional and system components. A clear and critical thinker is required to then bring new potential solutions to fruition, manage and analyze existing pipelines and data.
This role presents a unique opportunity to work with systems developed and maintained by the group as well as within corporate IT environments, multiple vendor systems, our AWS data lake, and all the pipelines in between. This includes working with data from various Internet of Things (IOT) networks and a great opportunity to collaborate and develop new streams and strategies on our horizon. The position must be filled with someone who has sharp critical thinking, combined with excellent project management and coordination skills, having a strong ability to work with both people representing the business people and those supporting roles within the IT organization. Technical skills are also extremely important, especially skills that support understanding SQL queries, database concepts, APIs, AWS/Cloud services, and developing Tableau as well. Youll be responsible for understanding how real time data from sensors integrates with corporate systems, combined to cloud based data lake, funnels into data science analytics and will end in visualizations.
- Understands and writes SQL code in Oracle and Redshift databases to support existing data structures, joins, views. Write and optimize new SQL to support new storage needs, reporting needs, and better performance and efficiency
- Makes decisions and solves problems using sound, inclusive reasoning and judgment. Gathers and analyzes information to fully understand a problem and proactively anticipates needs and prioritize action steps.
- Partners and communicates well with internal stakeholders, business partners, and Global IT to understand, define and help deliver technology needs
- Implements vetted strategies developed by the business to achieve technical roadmaps
- Manages project delivery end-to-end, in other cases helping our IT partner stay on project delivery milestones
- Wrangling structured, unstructured and poorly structured data into appropriate data structures.
- Auditing data in databases and/or reports with a goal of improving data quality from systems or data owners
- Identify opportunities to further build out our IoT strategy
- Develops new and supports existing Tableau dashboard platform, including how to improve sql queries and data management for optimal performance in reporting
- At least 3 years of experience working as a Systems Integrator, Data Engineer, Software Engineer or similar position demonstrating the ability to design and implement automation, data modeling, data wrangling, data analysis, and data vision solutions to complex problems, processes, and scenarios. Familiarity with common data structures and languages.
- BS Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, or Math Degree or relevant experience.
- Experience with IoT, cloud computing, distributed data systems
- Strong capabilities in SQL and Tableau, Excel/Google Suite
- Understands AWS platform (Amazon Redshift, S3, EC2, Glue jobs, etc.)
- Friendly and approachable, with strong communication and presentation skills
- Desire to keep current with a challenging and evolving environment
- Team focused and self-motivated. Able to work as part of a coordinated team, yet independently when necessary
- Proven abilities to take initiative and to be innovative; have an analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
- Demonstrated ability in leading technology projects
- Demonstrated experience in bridging business requirements and technical development
- Strong communications skills maintaining ties to product developers and stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience with software lifecycle management
Desirable Experience (but not required):
- Experience working with statistical teams and/or data scientists
- Tools/Programming Experience: Python, R, web services, other languages(e.g. Java, C++, scripting languages)
- AWS Certifications and working experience
- Experience with LEAN/KANBAN/SCRUM development methodologies is desirable
Pay Rate Range: $80-90/hr. Salary will be commensurate with experience
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.