Technical Development Scientist
1 DNA Way South San Francisco, CA 94080 US
This position is part of the Small-Molecule Impurities Group (SMIG) in the Protein Analytical Chemistry (PAC) department responsible for analyzing and managing small-molecule impurities to support process development and validation activities. The SMIG utilizes advanced analytical tools such as NMR, GC-MS, LC-MS, and ICP-MS to quantify process-related small-molecule impurities, identify unknown compounds of interest, investigate product quality issues, and conduct extractables and leachables (E&L) studies. In this role, you will perform both wet chemistry and instrumental analysis to support the SMIG projects in a timely manner. You will be exposed to various aspects of small-molecule analysis in complex biological matrices.
- Process protein drug samples for instrumental analysis using extraction techniques such as liquid-liquid extraction; prepare standards and replicates; spike analytes.
- Run samples on LC-MS and/or GC-MS using existing methods or develop/optimize new methods; perform method validation following a protocol.
- Analyze data to quantify analytes and/or identify unknown compounds.
- Document results properly and author reports; communicate results to project teams.
- Help with building and maintaining an internal E&L database and library.
- B.S./B.A. degree in chemistry, materials science or a relevant scientific discipline with 3+ years of experience.
- Good understanding of chromatography and mass spectrometry with 2+ years of hands-on experience.
- Demonstrated capability of performing wet chemistry procedures such as solution preparation, sample processing, and quantitative analysis.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving ability.
- An advanced degree (M.S.) in analytical chemistry.
- Experience with E&L analysis or trace analysis.
- Hands-on experience with protein sample preparation, high-resolution mass spectrometry (HRMS) or analytical method development and validation using LC-MS or GC-MS.
- Organization and documentation skills in a regulated environment.
Pay Rate Range: $80-98/hr. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.